Sunday, August 3, 2008

Notes on Vacation

So I'm back from vacation...miss me? I spent 6 days at Virginia Beach with some family. We stayed at a family-owned hotel called the Belvedere Motel next to the Boardwalk and Atlantic Ave. The water was 100 yards away from my room, give or take a little. Great location and quiet at night, too.

I spent a lot of time out on that beach, especially in the morning. Then the sun would rise, dolphins would be near the shore, and the dawn fishermen would be standing on the beach until the sunbathers kicked them out at about 8 am. It was great, as close to a heavenly, peaceful place as I've been for awhile. Besides this, I biked 20 miles on the Boardwalk, saw the Dark Knight in IMax, took a tour of the Oceana Naval Base, and ate at a lot of good places.

I wasn't overly impressed with The Dark Knight in IMAX, but Oceana was really cool. First, there were F-18s taking off and landing when we got there. We got some good pictures of that I can't upload right now. Also, I got to eat in and tour the Officer's Club. Again, no pictures yet. Seeing the jets in "The Petting Zoo," as my retired tour guide called the jet museum, was great as well. You can actually pet any jet between an A-4 and an F-15 Tomcat if you'd like.

I want to take a minute to give a shout out to young lady named Helena and her co-workers at the Sushi Bar and Steakhouse called Mahi-Mah's. The atmosphere, service, and sushi there was excellent. I'd go back to VA Beach just to eat a this place. It's in the Ramada Inn on 7th and Atlantic (I believe that's the address). Sushi starts at $6 and steaks and other entrees range from about $18 to $35. It seemed worth every penny!

Finally, I think I got what I wanted most out of this trip, that being time with Jesus. I have morning devotions and prayer on the beach every morning. In the afternoon I read Tom Oden's Systematic Wesleyan theology. In evening I read even more Scripture. That made the vacation worthwhile! As well, I was really happy about my God supported attitude during the week. Everyone got along really well, actually. I'd recommend Virginia Beach to anyone who wants to have a relaxing time at the beach. As I wrote in my journal on day three, it was one of the best vacations ever.

No comments: